Sunday, January 4, 2015

Let Me Introduce Myself


Hi there!

I thought I would introduce myself and why I started this blog. 

         CookingWithTheBrit is a name my best friend inspired. I'm half British, on my mum's side, and I have been helping her in the kitchen since I was five years old. She has taught me so much about cheap, cheerful, 30 minute meals; feeding a family of five, with incredibly busy schedule on a tight budget, she became a great mentor. In the 16 short years I spent learning from her, she taught me all I needed to know about substitutions, and inexpensive tricks to elegant and delicious breakfast, lunches and dinners.
         My Gramps, Mum's dad, is also a spectacular cook. He and I share a special bond when it comes to creating delicious miracles in the kitchen. He may be across the pond but we still share a great passion for food that I take great pride in. One of the greatest compliments he can give you is "I think you need more practice" it's his way of saying he really enjoyed it. 

           As for the purpose of this blog, I hope to keep this blog focused on food friendly for a college kids budget, but that can still be healthy and flavorful. 
           I typically feed 2-3 adults, 3-5 meals a week. Between working full time and going to school full time whilst trying to maintain a decent social calendar, who has time to spend hours in the kitchen making an extravagant yet tasty dish? Most of the meals I'll be sharing should only take 30-45 minutes to whip up from prep to setting it on the table. One of my roommates and I recently decided we needed to start to eat healthier so my focus will be towards a more health conscious agenda. I am also an avid baker and will share my sweet treats when I am particularly pleased with the results. After all, all work and no play makes for a grumpy chef!   I hope you enjoy this blog as it progresses. Happy eating all!

I shall leave you with a few meals from the last couple of months that I enjoyed making and eating.

Prescuto wrapped asparagus with cheesy potatoes and grilled chicken breast.

Mum's Shepards Pie with Cheesy potatoes. 

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

Pizza Soup is a great crockpot meal to come home to after a long day of work, and a treasured family recipe. 

2 comments: